From mama roos, to receiving blankets, I’ve got an elaborate baby registry cheat sheet to get you started on all things baby.
Top Baby Registries Benefits
- Target offers a FREE New Baby Welcome Kit! Pick up your gift at Guest Services for $50 worth of coupons & handpicked samples. These aren’t just regular samples either–I’m talking Maams pacifiers and Nuby Sippy cups!
- 15% discount on anything left on your registry after the big day.
- Returns and Exchanges can be redeemed up to a year after your due date.
- At home or on the go, manage your Amazon Baby Registry on any device whenever—and wherever—you want.
- Prime members get up to a 15% Completion Discount on eligible items, compliments of Amazon Family.
- Prime members with a baby registry are eligible for other rotating limited time offers such as a Welcome Box, free parenting eBook, discounts from Tiny Prints, maternity savings, and more.
- You have 90 days to return most items purchased from your registry.
- To make shopping even more convenient, we let customers ship gifts to your chosen Amazon Baby Registry address.
- An automatically generated Thank You list provides everything you need to send your gift-giver a thank-you note. How great is that!?
- Free Goodie Bag: Receive a bag with free samples, coupons and a copy of our Registry Guide. Available for pick up in stores only.
- 15% Completion Discount: Enjoy 15% off your remaining registry items. It’s our way of saying thank you for registering with us.
- Free Shipping Rewards: Enjoy free shipping for your baby’s first year when the value of gifts purchased from your registry exceeds $1,500. *exclusions apply.
- Referral Rewards: Send your friends our way! For each one who registers with us, you’ll receive a reward of $25 off a $100 in-store purchase.
- Registry Analyzer: Balance your registry with items at a variety of prices, so friends, family – even coworkers – can find you the perfect gift.
- Thank You List: Use our online tool to track your gifts easily, so you can send thank you notes later.
Register for Everything
From the looks of it, Target and buybuy baby have some pretty sweet benefits from using their registry service, as does Amazon. One thing to remember: ALL of these baby registries offer 15% off your remaining registry so register for absolutely EVERYTHING. Even if no one buys it, you’ll get a sweet discount regardless.
Baby Registry Essentials
While a baby registry is a great way to get some of the bigger and more expensive items you need, don’t forget that a baby’s seemingly inexpensive day-to-day needs quickly add up.
Some smaller items that you’ll always want on hand for your baby include:
- Diapers (and lots of ‘em) Register for both newborn and larger sizes
- Baby wipes (Even more so than diapers!)
- Baby shampoos, soaps and lotions (I recommend hypoallergenic or scent-less)
- Breast pump (Should be able to get this from your insurance company for FREE) and breastfeeding supplies
- Bottles and bottle cleaning supplies (You never know which type of bottle your baby will take to, register for a few different brands if possible)
- Crib bedding (Skip the bumpers)
- Burp cloths
- Nail clippers, thermometer and first aid items
Big Ticket Items (Keep scrolling down for specific brands)
Although I know you’ll prefer to buy nursery furniture and decor in advance so that you can set up the baby’s room early, it’s never a bad idea to register for a crib, changing table or rocking chair if you need help with these purchases.
Other large items for your registry include:
- Car seat
- Baby swing
- Baby bouncer
- High chair
Mom-Approved MUST-HAVE Items
And now, what you have all came here for, a list of must-haves on your baby registry. I’ve organized these suggestions to help you navigate through the list easier and have also linked them on Amazon. Be sure to price check, they may cost less somewhere else.
All of these suggestions are REAL brands that REAL moms use. I am not, in any way being
- Mam Pacifiers (All ages)
- WubbaNub™ -The Original Pacifier/Plush Animal combination
- MAM Love & Affection Pacifier Clip
- MAM Pacifier Wipes (Really good to have on deck)
Diapers and Wipes
- Pampers Sensitive Wipes
- Pampers Swaddlers Diapers
- DESITIN Maximum Strength Diaper Rash Paste
- Playtex Diaper Genie
You will be changing your newborn’s diaper roughly 5-8x a day, and about 5-6x a day once they reach 6 months. Your little one will wear diapers morning, afternoon, and night for the next 1-3+ years so registering for diapers and stocking up on as many as possible is a really great idea. Oh and P.S most stores will let you exchange diaper sizes if you get too many of one size.
- Simple Joys by Carter’s Baby 7-Pack Flannel Receiving Blankets
- Muslin Baby Swaddle Blankets
- Swaddle Blanket, Adjustable Velcro
I recommend purchasing a lot of these. You will need them with a newborn. We used on average 3-5 per day and had to wash them all on a weekly basis. Aim for 30, not kidding.
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens
- Babysense Video Baby Monitor with LCD Display, Digital Camera, Infrared Night Vision, Two Way Talk Back, Temperature Monitoring
- Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Bottles
- Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Newborn Starter Gift Set
- Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottles
- Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set
- Waterproof Silicone Bib
- Bumbo Multi Seat
TIP: Remember, babies are picky. You will probably need to try a few different brands before you find which one your baby likes. My baby ended up taking to two different brands: Tommee Tippee and Philips Avent. Both were the “natural” style which is supposed to imitate the shape of a breast.
- Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (For convenience)
- Medela Easy Expression Hands-Free Bustier
- Spectra Baby USA – S2 Hospital Grade Double/Single Electric Breast Pump
- My Little Snugapuppy™ Deluxe Newborn Rock ’n Play™ Sleeper
- Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard Portable Napper and Changer
- Boppy Newborn Lounger
- Boppy Nursing Pillow and Positioner
- DockATot Deluxe+ Dock (Co-sleeper fave!)
- Fridababy NoseFrida Nasal Aspirator
- Mommy’s Bliss Gripe Water
- Little Remedies Tummy Relief Drops
- Infants’ Tylenol Oral Suspension
- Medical Ear Thermometer with Forehead Function
- Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
- Chicco Cortina CX Travel System
- Baby Car Mirror for Back Seat
- Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
- Graco 4Ever 4-in-One Convertible Car Seat
Other Mom Favorites
Here are the items that other moms suggested as must-haves. There was a TON of feedback on this but I only chose the one’s I really resonated with. Do your own research but use these suggestions as a guideline.
“When my baby was tiny, I loved the sleepsacks! Velcro swaddles are so much easier to figure out and harder for baby to bust out! The Baby Dove line has been our favorite soap/lotion. Dean has a Muslim security blanket that he will not sleep without and I highly recommend something along those lines to teach baby to self soothe. I’m sure I’m forgetting a ton but those are big ones for me! Oh and a white noise machine was a lifesaver.” – Erin
“White noise machine with projection, Nuby wacky teething rings.” -Kelli
“A swing, rocking chair, a boba wrap and a jogging stroller because they are so much easier to push on gravel sand grass then a regular stroller.” -Rachel
“Nose frida, boppy pillow (seriously the best thing to use while feeding!), rock n play sleeper, rocking chair.” -Amanda
“White noise machine, we still use with our daughter and she’s 2, a rock and play for when we were going to be at someone else’s house during nap time, or just so I could move it throughout the house, and a bottle sterilizer. Those were the things I used daily.” -Jessica
“Rock n play, my brest friend nursing pillow, boppy great in bed and on a plane.” -Brittany
“MamaRoo baby swing.” -Sandra
“Nose frida, something to baby wear, rock and play, bags that sterilize the bottle parts in the microwave (medela is the brand), sleep sack, pjs that zip and not button for the middle of the night diaper changes.” -Rachel
“Definitely a Rock N Play, I’ve never heard of a baby not loving them! And we used a Dock-A-Tot for Emma to sleep (safely) in bed with us.” -Katie
“Books-What to expect when you’re expecting & What To Expect the First Year….easy, simple, bang on information about ANYTHING you want or need to know!” -Kim
“Pack and play, rock n play, and a swing -preferably one that plugs in and doesn’t have to have batteries” -Kate
“BOB stroller! Worth every penny!” -Cami
“I second the zip up pajamas, nosefrida (sounds so gross at first but it’s a lifesaver when little ones are sick) and rock and plays are awesome! Also find a really comfy rocker. My son is 20 months and still likes to be rocked to sleep.” -Kristin
“I wish I had a bassinet, we waited almost 3 weeks before we decided to buy one. Make sure you have an infant car seat not just a convertible car seat, Regardless of what others may say about having a convertible seat that saves you money, an infant seat will save your sanity… They are so nice when the baby is sleeping just to take in and out of the car into The store or restaurants. Whether you’re breastfeeding or not I would recommend a Boppy pillow they are nice for tummy time for babies, naps (to wrap around their feet to hold them in place) and to give your arms some relief when you’re holding baby. I would recommend a baby swing or bouncer we have the mamaroo but for the price, you don’t use it very long, my son used it less than 3 months before trying to sit up… get a normal swing. Also if you decide to use cloth diapers instead of disposables let me know I can recommend a ton of tips, tricks and things you’ll need for that.” -Cherish
Resource: Lucie’s List
One of my most FAVORITE websites during my pregnancy was Lucie’s list. This website has absolutely everything you need to know about baby registries. She breaks each registry item up into categories which was oh-so helpful.
- Car Seats and Strollers
- Bouncers and Swings
- Bath Stuff
- This and That
On top of that, she has reviews for each item. SCORE! So unlike my list above which really only gives you my personal suggestions and links, she’s got links, photos, and reviews. I totally shouldn’t be sending you to another website right, but us moms have to stick together!