Valentine’s Day and New Year’s Eve are pretty similar. They’re both made up holidays, they’re both associated with smooching, and they both never tend to go as planned.
But that’s OK, because what matters the most about V-Day is that you spend it with the people you love and who love you back. (Boyfriend, Husband, Best Friend, who cares?)
It’s been a LONGGG February if you know what I mean. So I spent the evening researching things to do at home. You don’t have to do something fancy to show your significant other how much you love them.
Here’s a list of 32 things to do at home in place of going out and spending massive amounts of money on a mediocre dinner.
32 Ways To Celebrate Valentine’s Day at Home
1. Get stringy! Need to add some giggles to your marriage? Try a silly string fight! It will cost you close to nothing and you’ll be laughing all night long.
2. Christmas cookie date. Who said sugar cookies are only for Christmas? Bah humbug! Spice up your Valentine’s day date night by pulling out all the cookie cutter, sprinkles, frosting and edible pearls! See what fun creation you can create for each other! If you’re looking for an easy and yummy recipe try my favorite Christmas Cookie here.
3. Soak it all in with a spa date! Grab some foot scrub, essential oils, lotion, face masks and candles to relax, unwind and indulge! If you’re really feeling frisky light the tealight candles and pull out the chocolate covered strawberries!
4. Play your favorite board games — but add a fun twist! Use candy pieces or cookies for checkers. When someone gets jumped, they have to eat their piece! Add romantic “penalties” to the person who gets jumped or loses a turn (if you choose another favorite board game.)
5. Have a pjs and movie night. Purchase some new, matching pjs and relax watching your favorite movie. Of course add some popcorn and drink champagne from fancy schmancy wine glasses!
6. Go on a night stroll around the neighborhood. Fresh air is good for the soul and it’ll give you and your partner a chance to take each other’s presence in.
7. Play dress up. Pull out the camera (or your phone) and have fun snapping photos of each other. Purchase a sweet, keepsake album to remember the night forever.
8. Light up your bedroom! Hang Christmas lights in your bedroom to add a romantic ambiance to the room. Turn on some classical romantic music and enjoy a quiet evening together.
9. Take a bubble bath together! You may have to wait for the kids to go to bed first on this one..
10. Go on a Dollar Store Spending Spree. Give each other $10 to spend at the Dollar Store and each person picks out surprises for your date night. And here’s the kicker — you HAVE to use all the items you purchased THAT night! Think snacks, toys, cards, bubble bath, massage lotion — be creative!
11. Play twister! It’s a super-fun game that can turn romantic super quick!
12. Break out a fondue pot. Melt some chocolate discs in the fondue pot and dip anything and everything you love to snack on in the chocolate. Or if you don’t have one, just melt some chocolate chips with a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk on the stove for this fun treat.
13. Write it out! Grab some post-it notes, brainstorm and write a book about your spouse in 20 minutes. Include short and sweet chapters to describe your spouse’s life and how you both met from each other’s perspective! You can later type and print these out for keepsakes! Sentimental, huh?
14. Spend the night on the living room floor and make s’mores. You don’t have to be too fancy here, if a fireplace is out of the question use your microwave! They’ll be just as tasty!
15. Turn your living room into a ballroom. Move the furniture out of the way, turn on the music and dance like prom night all over again.
16. Read a book together. It could be something as romantic as a book on marriage or a silly as a favorite picture book from your childhood.
17. Set the mood. Think candles. Think flowers. Think multiple-courses or just dessert. What would you expect to see and taste at a fancy restaurant? Try to recreate that atmosphere around your own dining table. For extra gusto you may even want to dress up in your finest attire.
18. Revel in wedding day memories. This one will probably mean more to us girls than our hubbies but looking at old wedding albums or watching our wedding video is a great way to rekindle the fires.
19. Enjoy hot chocolate, tea, or coffee on the back porch together under the stars. There’s nothing like sitting together in the peace and enjoyment of God’s creation to build a deeper level of communication.
20. Have a karaoke night. Get out your favorite romantic songs and have fun lip-syncing to each other.
21. Have a Nerf gun war. I mean seriously, how fun would it be to sneak around the house in the dark (so as not to wake up the kids) and then shoot each other?! Ha! I may have to add this one too!
22. Order in. Have pizza or Chinese delivered but be sure to use the chopsticks. No pants required folks!
23. Put a puzzle together, then glue and frame it. This will be a keepsake you can cherish together forever.
24. Do Mad Libs together.
25. Create a blueprint of your dream house.
26. Have a staring contest. Sit on the couch, hold hands, and stare each other in the eye. The first one who looks away has to do whatever the other one asks of him or her!
27. Have a dessert cook-off. Each of you find a new dessert recipe you’d like to try, bake them side-by-side in the kitchen, and then taste test them both to see which you like better!
28. Write a gratitude list together. Make a list of everything you are thankful for as a couple and then tell God about it!
29. Snuggle up and cuddle for a movie. I’ve got a list of the best throwback movies to watch with your babe: 10 movies to watch this year.
30. Have dinner on your roof. Getting up there will be half the fun.
31. Play 50 questions. Write out 25 questions each and then ask them to each other.
32. Go window shopping together on Pinterest or Craigslist or some other favorite online shopping haunt. This can be super fun but a little dangerous if your babe finds something they really like.
How will you be celebrating V-day this year? Leave a comment with your ideas!